Options & Variations
To see a sample of product options go to this test product on goimagine:
Product options appear on the product details page as parameters that a customer can select or enter. Options can have the following properties:
- Name—the name of the product option as it appears on the product. (i.e. Color, Size, Type of Metal, etc.)
- Code — The name of the global option that only appears in the Seller Dashboard to help you distinguish between multiple options that have the same displayed name. When an option is created it can be used on other products.
For example, if you sell Shirts and Sweaters, you might have 2 separate options called Size. Without the internal code name they’d look the same in the Sellers Dashboard, and it’d be hard to guess which of these options to apply to your next newly-created product.
NOTE: If you use an option across multiple products and you change details on that option on one product it change the option on all products connected to that option. Also, if you CLONE a product any options from the original product will remain linked to the new product. So, if you edit the option on the cloned product it will also change on the option on the original product.
To select an existing global option on to a new product simply type in the search box to find the option.
- Position—the position of the product option relatively to other options in the list.
- Option Combinations —The ability to track inventory per option
- Type—the type of the product option: Select box, Radio group, Check box, Text, Text area, or File.
- Description—This is help test the customers see when hovering over the '?' sign next to the option name.
- Comment—the comment to be displayed below the option on the storefront.
- Required—if you tick this checkbox, customers will have to select/enter the variant of this option.
- Missing variants handling—this setting determines what happens when all the variants of the option are disabled or not specified at all:
Display message—the option will appear on the product page, but will be marked as not available. If the option is mandatory (see the previous setting), customers will not be able to add the product to cart.
Hide option completely—the option will be hidden; even if the option is mandatory (see the previous setting), customers will still be able to add the product to cart.
Variants on Options
Options for the Select box, Radio group, or Check box option types have variants that a customer can choose from. Option variants can be configured on a separate tab called Variants and have the following properties:
- Position—the position of the variant relatively to other variants in the list.
- Name—the name of the option variant. For example, if the option is titled Size, the variants to the option can be Small, Medium, Large, etc.
- Modifier/Type—a positive or negative value that will be added to or subtracted from the original product price. The modifier can be either an absolute money value or a percentage of the product price.
- Weight modifier/Type—a positive or negative value that will be added to or subtracted from the original product weight. The modifier can be either an absolute lbs value or a percentage of the product weight
- Status—the status of the variant (Active or Disabled).
- Icon—a thumbnail to represent the option variant that can be seen by clicking 'extra'. These icons are shown on the product details page on the storefront.